Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The longer axis of an ellipse, passing through its foci.
- ‘The major axes of both ellipses point nearly in the direction of maximum hair bundle excitation (perpendicular to the gray line).’
- ‘The calculated slope of the major axis regression line is 0.88.’
- ‘It was found that the maximum total force is experienced when the major axis of the ellipsoid is perpendicular to the flow and the minimum when it is aligned.’
- ‘The major axis of the ellipse will be along the East-West line and the minor axis will be North-South.’
- ‘In elongated cells the major axis of mesh elements tends to align with the major axis of the cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.