Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The longer axis of an ellipse, passing through its foci.
- ‘The calculated slope of the major axis regression line is 0.88.’
- ‘The major axis of the ellipse will be along the East-West line and the minor axis will be North-South.’
- ‘The major axes of both ellipses point nearly in the direction of maximum hair bundle excitation (perpendicular to the gray line).’
- ‘In elongated cells the major axis of mesh elements tends to align with the major axis of the cells.’
- ‘It was found that the maximum total force is experienced when the major axis of the ellipsoid is perpendicular to the flow and the minimum when it is aligned.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.