One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a master workman; a foreman.‘they were all under the control of maistries, who unofficially acted as subcontractors’
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, boss, team leader, line manager, controllerView synonyms
- ‘Field staff including maistries and inspectors were deployed for duty and for monitoring the situation in various areas for immediate rectification, he said.’
- ‘This is the head mason, or maistry, with his team of lesser maistries, beldaars and mazdoors.’
- ‘But the maistry gradually clarified matters as the cart rolled on.’
- ‘One contractor is trying to take shelter under the claim that his maistry, and not he, has brought the inter-state workmen.’
- ‘Agricultural Fieldmen and Agricultural maistries were also appointed.’
From Portuguese mestre ‘master’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.