Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Asia) a master workman; a foreman.‘they were all under the control of maistries, who unofficially acted as subcontractors’
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, boss, team leader, line manager, controllerView synonyms
- ‘But the maistry gradually clarified matters as the cart rolled on.’
- ‘Field staff including maistries and inspectors were deployed for duty and for monitoring the situation in various areas for immediate rectification, he said.’
- ‘Agricultural Fieldmen and Agricultural maistries were also appointed.’
- ‘One contractor is trying to take shelter under the claim that his maistry, and not he, has brought the inter-state workmen.’
- ‘This is the head mason, or maistry, with his team of lesser maistries, beldaars and mazdoors.’
From Portuguese mestre master.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.