One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a master workman; a foreman.‘they were all under the control of maistries, who unofficially acted as subcontractors’
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, boss, team leader, line manager, controllerView synonyms
- ‘This is the head mason, or maistry, with his team of lesser maistries, beldaars and mazdoors.’
- ‘One contractor is trying to take shelter under the claim that his maistry, and not he, has brought the inter-state workmen.’
- ‘Agricultural Fieldmen and Agricultural maistries were also appointed.’
- ‘But the maistry gradually clarified matters as the cart rolled on.’
- ‘Field staff including maistries and inspectors were deployed for duty and for monitoring the situation in various areas for immediate rectification, he said.’
From Portuguese mestre ‘master’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.