One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or thing that maintains something, in particular computer software.
- ‘One wrote that I am now ‘the maintainer of the Linux anti-lawsuit kernel’.’
- ‘However, the best we can hope for if the redirect document fell out is to e-mail the maintainer to ask them to re-insert.’
- ‘As the maintainer of this blog with less and less time, I would gladly give it up in exchange for spam to no longer be an issue.’
- ‘I'm happy, and hopefully the USB maintainer also will be happy with the changes.’
- ‘It is inappropriate to force search engine maintainers to establish from all publishers if there is a linking permission.’
- ‘Networked connections would allow maintainers to monitor vehicle health and configure onboard software.’
- ‘These small patches can be concatenated together when distributed to project maintainers.’
- ‘The temptation for the project maintainer is to keep multiple legacy interfaces coordinated with the latest version.’
- ‘Greg Kroah-Hartman currently is the Linux kernel maintainer for a variety of different driver subsystems.’
- ‘In addition, these sub-system maintainers may trust another handful of local developers to commit changes into their own repositories.’
- ‘It further exposes Internet Service Providers and Web site maintainers internationally to litigation.’
- ‘Torvalds might consult particular maintainers or ask the community for feedback, but there is no formal vote or clear balance of power.’
- ‘Then the Flickr system maintainers discovered even more problems.’
- ‘Linux is a gift culture, where numerous programmers and maintainers contribute code for all to have.’
- ‘Besides, maintainers of filesystems rarely accept feature-enhancement patches to their stable filesystems.’
- ‘Instead, the fire brigade consists primarily of the maintainers of the software.’
- ‘More typical are linear structures or phased structures that hand off a project from developers to clients or maintainers.’
- ‘Pete Zaitcev has been listed as maintainer for both the USB block driver and the Yamaha PCI sound driver.’
- ‘In the OSS community the leader of an open source software development project is referred to as the maintainer.’
- ‘Local shell access to the FTP server for GNU maintainers has been withdrawn pending completion of its certification activities.’
- 1.1Law historical A person who supports a legal action in which he or she has no legally recognized interest.
- ‘Where there is a genuine and legitimate common business interest between the maintainer and the maintained in the result of litigation, some activities in support of litigation may be justifiable.’
- ‘I therefore gave no thought to the possibility that any donors who were effectively paying Crockers Oswald Hickson's fees might conceivably be liable to the defendant as maintainers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.