One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in England and Wales) a school that is funded by a local education authority.‘parents across the country breathed a sigh of relief as plans to harmonize term dates for all maintained schools were unveiled’
- ‘Only 8 per cent of pupils doing GCSEs in England's maintained schools took Spanish in 2002.’
- ‘The support given by the LEA in the six maintained schools played an important part in the schools' development.’
- ‘The head teacher of a maintained school may exclude a pupil from the school for a fixed period or permanently.’
- ‘Teachers in maintained schools have to be available for work for 195 days in any year.’
- ‘There are over 1,800 maintained schools with sixth forms.’
- ‘Our target to inspect every maintained school in England within a four-year period was achieved.’
- ‘In maintained schools, the average number of half days missed by pupils without permission was 15 in secondary schools and eight in primaries.’
- ‘In January 2004, both head teacher and deputy head vacancy rates in maintained schools were the lowest they had been since 1997.’
- ‘Subject to any other statutory provisions, the conduct of a maintained school shall be under the control of the school's governing body.’
- ‘The gap between boys and girls at GCSE level is less in independent schools than in maintained schools.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.