One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principal mast of a ship, typically the second mast in a sailing ship of three or more masts.
spar, boom, yard, gaff, foremast, topmast, mizzenmast, mizzen, royal mastView synonyms
- ‘The mainmast groaned slightly under the strain of the wind-filled sails.’
- ‘Dolphin pulled past them and assaulted the outside schooner, her guns taking out the mainmast.’
- ‘He saw how close to the mainmast the commodore was and grinned suddenly.’
- ‘‘Look,’ Rueben said, and turned, pointing up to the top of the mainmast, at the crow's next.’
- ‘Its gun-ports were visible even at this distance, and a flag, unidentifiable, waved defiantly atop the mainmast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.