One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principal mast of a ship, typically the second mast in a sailing ship of three or more masts.
spar, boom, yard, gaff, foremast, topmast, mizzenmast, mizzen, royal mastView synonyms
- ‘The mainmast groaned slightly under the strain of the wind-filled sails.’
- ‘Its gun-ports were visible even at this distance, and a flag, unidentifiable, waved defiantly atop the mainmast.’
- ‘He saw how close to the mainmast the commodore was and grinned suddenly.’
- ‘‘Look,’ Rueben said, and turned, pointing up to the top of the mainmast, at the crow's next.’
- ‘Dolphin pulled past them and assaulted the outside schooner, her guns taking out the mainmast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.