One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list of the names and addresses of people to whom advertising matter, information, or other material may be mailed regularly.
- ‘It is also important to understand that a database is not just another name for a mailing list.’
- ‘With a mailing list members send e-mails to a central computer which then mails them to every other member.’
- ‘One of the major sources of mailing lists for those who send out spam is addresses posted on websites.’
- ‘For more details or to be put on the mailing list for local event information, contact Lisa Clift.’
- ‘Managing mailing lists of the names of the key individuals who already were, or might become, clients was an important management process.’
- ‘The irony is that most consumers are happy to see their names included on mailing lists.’
- ‘Their names and contact information must be included in the mailing list for the September magazine.’
- ‘The vast majority of sites gave users no choice about inclusion on mailing lists or having their name passed on to affiliates or third parties.’
- ‘In direct mail, a mailing list is not just a way of reaching your market - it is the market.’
- ‘I'm picking up my email on the web this week and next, which has reminded me of all the mass mailing lists I'm on.’
- ‘The use of mass mailing lists within companies means that lots of people get mail that has nothing to do with them.’
- ‘Anyone whose address is known by one of these companies may receive mail for years afterwards because their mailing lists are passed around.’
- ‘Once you have registered on the mailing list, information on the availability of applications will be emailed to you.’
- ‘For years I have only used the address for mailing lists.’
- ‘Customers are able to register for specialised mailing lists so they can receive news and sale updates when items of interest come up for sale.’
- ‘If you post messages to popular mailing lists or put your email address on web pages, you dramatically increase the chances that you'll get a lot of spam.’
- ‘In the past few years he has gathered 150,000 names from telephone directories and mailing lists.’
- ‘Stores will send you promotions in their newsletters along with special discounts for being on their mailing lists.’
- ‘After some failed attempts to get off their mailing list, he decided to take matters into his own hands.’
- ‘About 80 teenagers are on a mailing list for information about the progress of the skateboarding area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.