One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The automatic addition of names and addresses from a database to letters and envelopes in order to facilitate sending mail, especially advertising, to many addresses.
- ‘The next thing you know, you're their ‘personal banker,’ receiving direct phone calls relating to everything from how to do a mail merge in Word, to something's wrong with my home computer.’
- ‘The program allows you to email and do mail merge to your entire database of contacts.’
- ‘‘For the competition, random tasks would keep popping up and you had to do different tasks in Word like mail merge, creating table of contents, footnotes or formatting images.’’
- ‘VIP Manager includes features such as mail merge, an internal diary, personnel adviser and powerful search and filtering.’
- ‘Popular programs such as Microsoft Word now include a spelling and grammar checker, thesaurus, clip art, hyperlinking, page layout, envelope and label creation, mail merge and other tools that you once needed other programs to provide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.