One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US A letter bomb.
- ‘Mail bombs may be addressed in distorted handwriting, or the name and address may be prepared with homemade labels or cut-and-paste lettering.’
- ‘When we looked at that type of a scenario, whether it's anthrax letters or whether it's mail bombs, it is extremely difficult to investigate these cases.’
- ‘Mail bombs continue to be a threat to enterprises, law offices and government agencies.’
- ‘It is important to be alert for suspicious parcels, but keep in mind that a mail bomb is an extremely rare occurrence.’
- ‘Apparently our town doctor was the victim of a mail bomb.’
2An overwhelming quantity of email messages sent to one address.‘what happens if advertisers don't respond to entreaties and mail bombs?’
- ‘In the fall of 1996, Synder was subjected to a mail bomb: an attempt to flood his electronic mailbox of someone with hundreds of email messages.’
- ‘Worm attacks, domain-name high-jacking, logic bombs, mail bombs and Trojan horses have all been utilized by hackers, but now denial-of-service attacks are gnawing away at the Internet's soft underbelly.’
- ‘Their ISP will cancel their account upon receipt of spam complaints or ensuing mail bombs.’
Send an overwhelming quantity of email messages to (someone)‘if the netizens are really annoyed they'll mail-bomb you’
- ‘If you are found to have spammed or mail bombed, then we will immediately, without warning, disable your domain.’
- ‘The man in question has been mail-bombed a number of times and on one occasion received 250,000 emails within just a couple of hours.’
- ‘EFF Action Alerts are issued regularly on subjects of interests to the organisation, and are intended to help coordinate activism and/or to mail-bomb unlovable companies, agencies and legislators.’
- ‘Posting "spam", and/or posting binaries to non-binary newsgroups, can result in people being mail bombed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.