Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female domestic servant.
female servant, maidservant, housemaid, parlourmaid, serving maid, lady's maid, chambermaid, maid-of-all-work, domestic, drudge, menialView synonyms
- ‘The door opened to find Alban standing with Lady Madeline seated besides her maidservant.’
- ‘We are reminded of Defoe's Moll Flanders, whose narrator ruefully recalls aspiring as a young maidservant to be a ‘Gentlewoman’ like a woman in her village who sits at her window dressed in fine clothes.’
- ‘The maids bringing in lace caps and a box of hair powder on the left are probably her maidservants, Antonia Vanderbrocht and Petronila Valdearenas.’
- ‘She promptly placed one thousand man-servants opposite one thousand maidservants and declared, ‘He will marry her, she will marry him, ‘and so on.’’
- ‘‘Lilly,’ Lady Cynthia summoned the maidservant over to her.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.