One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or appropriate to a maiden; demure.‘maidenly modesty’
virginal, immaculate, intact, chaste, pure, undefiled, virtuous, unsullied, vestalView synonyms
- ‘She lifted the bouquet from the ground, and then, as if inwardly ashamed at having stepped aside from her maidenly reserve to respond to a stranger's greeting, passed swiftly homeward through the garden.’
- ‘So Audrey spent her three idle days walking, reading, and occasionally joining in on the maidenly pursuits of her mother and sister, like sewing and fabric shopping at the markets.’
- ‘Pieta's voice was of a contralto color, and though not very strong, it was maidenly and soft.’
- ‘Well, I feel pretty and maidenly without bounding my tresses.’
- ‘I tried my best to look maidenly and modest, as I should, though I was near to bursting with pride and excitement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.