Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or appropriate to a maiden; demure.‘maidenly modesty’
virginal, immaculate, intact, chaste, pure, undefiled, virtuous, unsullied, vestaldemure, reserved, retiring, decorous, seemlyView synonyms
- ‘She lifted the bouquet from the ground, and then, as if inwardly ashamed at having stepped aside from her maidenly reserve to respond to a stranger's greeting, passed swiftly homeward through the garden.’
- ‘So Audrey spent her three idle days walking, reading, and occasionally joining in on the maidenly pursuits of her mother and sister, like sewing and fabric shopping at the markets.’
- ‘Pieta's voice was of a contralto color, and though not very strong, it was maidenly and soft.’
- ‘Well, I feel pretty and maidenly without bounding my tresses.’
- ‘I tried my best to look maidenly and modest, as I should, though I was near to bursting with pride and excitement.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.