One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or appropriate to a maiden; demure.‘maidenly modesty’
virginal, immaculate, intact, chaste, pure, undefiled, virtuous, unsullied, vestalView synonyms
- ‘Well, I feel pretty and maidenly without bounding my tresses.’
- ‘Pieta's voice was of a contralto color, and though not very strong, it was maidenly and soft.’
- ‘She lifted the bouquet from the ground, and then, as if inwardly ashamed at having stepped aside from her maidenly reserve to respond to a stranger's greeting, passed swiftly homeward through the garden.’
- ‘I tried my best to look maidenly and modest, as I should, though I was near to bursting with pride and excitement.’
- ‘So Audrey spent her three idle days walking, reading, and occasionally joining in on the maidenly pursuits of her mother and sister, like sewing and fabric shopping at the markets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.