Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The original surname of a married woman who uses her husband's surname name after marriage.‘many women choose to work under their maiden names’
- ‘Her maiden name was Lesley Stevens and she lived at the Borough SE1 between 1968 and 1970.’
- ‘Writing under her maiden name of Charlotte Popescu, Mrs Fyffe has published some 30 books to date.’
- ‘Eloise's mother had changed her name back to Beauregard, her maiden name.’
- ‘My grandmother's current name is Kurlene White, but her maiden name is Roper.’
- ‘I kept my maiden name as a second middle name, but I'd not want to saddle any of my kids with it.’
- ‘Married women may legally keep their maiden names, or have their maiden names restored at some point in the marriage whether or not the couple stays together.’
- ‘She has since joined the force in another district and has started using her maiden name instead..’
- ‘One of the reps sent a message to the HR department, letting them know that a member of staff wished to be known by her maiden name again.’
- ‘My maiden name was Pease and a cousin of mine has researched our family tree.’
- ‘Naomi would like to change her daughters' surname to her own maiden name.’
- ‘You can hyphenate your name or use your maiden name for work and your married name everywhere else.’
- ‘Divorced women who revert to their maiden names and couples who adopt a hyphenated name also will encounter problems if they fail to update their Social Security records, says Barbara Steinmetz, a financial planner.’
- ‘Gaelic law still allowed women to retain their maiden name and own land and property.’
- ‘Jan Struther, an abbreviation of her maiden name, was the pen name which she used.’
- ‘In these new court papers, she takes back her formal maiden name, Jennifer Joanna Aniston.’
- ‘She was insistent to keep her maiden name, Fraser, when she married.’
- ‘In the last year of college, when everyone was trying to find a catchy ‘stage name’ I made lists and lists, researching old family names, maiden names, names that just sounded good.’
- ‘Andrews, who married husband Iain last month, is known to many in the accountancy profession by her maiden name of Irvine.’
- ‘Today tributes poured in for Alex who was married just a year ago, but maintained her maiden name in her profession.’
- ‘We are often asked for the maiden name of our mother and our date of birth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.