One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An unmarried noblewoman attending a queen or princess.
- ‘A high-spirited flirt, she had been a maid of honour to Anne of Cleves, and became Henry's fifth queen in July 1540, a month after the coup that destroyed Cromwell.’
- ‘She was a maid of honour to Mary of Modena, wife of the duke of York, and in 1684 married Colonel Heneage Finch who succeeded his nephew to the title in 1712.’
- ‘Henry had already befriended one of her maids of honour - Jane Seymour.’
- ‘In addition to bringing Brittany to the crown, Anne left an indelible mark on French court life by introducing the concept of the queen's maids of honor.’
- ‘The sitter - as Groom of the Stole and Mistress of the Robes - was in charge of the ladies of the bedchamber and the maids of honour.’
- ‘When the Queen discovered his secret marriage to one of her maids of honor, Elizabeth ‘Bessy’ Throckmorton, he was brought back to London and thrown into the Tower.’
- ‘The daughter of Edward Hyde, earl of Clarendon, staunch royalist and lord chancellor to Charles II, Anne met James, duke of York, while she was maid of honour to Mary, princess royal and princess of Orange.’
- ‘Instead of tea and bread and butter, which has prevailed of late years, the maids of honor in Queen Elizabeth's time were allowed three rumps of beef for their breakfast.’
- ‘What they scarcely mention, however, is his passionate but platonic relationship with Margaret Godolphin, a maid of honour at the court of Charles II.’
- ‘Jane had been a maid of honour at the court of both Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn.’
- ‘His marriage to Elizabeth Throckmorton, one of the maids of honour, led to a period of imprisonment in the summer of 1592.’
- 1.1North American A principal bridesmaid.
- ‘Her maid of honour was her sister Sonya Oliver, her bridesmaid was her friend Julia Blaw.’
- ‘Once the color and style of the maid of honor's dress has been selected, she works hand-in-hand with the bride to choose the bridesmaids' dresses.’
- ‘Shortly after the engagement, a maid of honor and a best man are chosen.’
- ‘I'm a bridesmaid, my other sister is the maid of honor and my cousin Elizabeth is the other bridesmaid.’
- ‘It was the first time I'd met her maid of honour, and I liked her; she's really sweet.’
- ‘My sister was the bridesmaid, and Sami's sister was the maid of honor.’
- ‘Monica, Sarah and Mary can be your bridesmaids, but I must be your maid of honour!’
- ‘The bride arrived at the church in a blue Rolls-Royce wearing a cream dress with a full-length veil, along with her sister, Sarah, the Channel 4 News presenter and Scotsman columnist, who was the maid of honour.’
- ‘Chelsea, the maid of honor, traveled up the aisle with Brian, the best man.’
- ‘Hannah had been my maid of honor, wearing a lavender gown.’
- ‘Bridal shower preparations are given by the maid of honour and bridesmaids.’
- ‘I think it was somehow natural for the best man and maid of honour to be paired-up because that's what happened with Marcus and myself at Jim's wedding, and almost every other wedding I attended.’
- ‘There were guests, a maid of honor, a best man, and even a wedding singer.’
- ‘We had always agreed to be each other's maids of honor or matrons, depending on who got married first.’
- ‘My sister Jennifer would be my maid of honour and Carol, a high school friend, would be another bridesmaid.’
- ‘The judge looked at the best man and the maid of honor and they each placed a ring on his open book.’
- ‘The bride and groom sat on a bench in the shade while the best man and maid of honor fed them clumps of orange and white rice by hand.’
- ‘The sponsor at a Cypriot wedding, similar to an American best man or maid of honor, becomes a ceremonial relative.’
- ‘I was their maid of honour because Lydia - Jim's fiancée - doesn't have any sisters and her best friend couldn't fly back home for the wedding.’
- ‘The bride's dress will probably be finished with a faux fur shrug and the bridesmaids and maids of honor will adorn lots of silver and gold!’
2British A small tart filled with flavoured milk curds.
- ‘Sally Lunn's buns are perhaps not as well known as Bakewell tart, Richmond maids of honour and Eccles cakes but that is because they never appear outside their home town.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.