One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female servant doing general housework.
female servant, maidservant, housemaid, parlourmaid, serving maid, lady's maid, chambermaid, domestic, drudge, menialView synonyms
- ‘Amongst the lower middle class only a maid-of-all-work was employed, who often endured very long hours and little prestige.’
- ‘Charles meets Ella, a young woman who labors as a maid-of-all-work.’
- ‘She never married, and she became the maid-of-all-work who nursed her father in his last years.’
- ‘Those gowns are not made for elderly nannies or maids-of-all-work, but for young ladies.’
- ‘Beth, the hotel's rather incompetent maid-of-all-work, was splendidly played by Ann Flannery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.