Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chief priest of a temple or the head of a monastery.
- ‘But these mahants again donated this land to Baba Bhairon Nath who built a Shiv temple on a part of the land.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the selection of the new mahant is likely to take two to three months.’
- ‘Certainly the mahants of the late nineteenth century frequently claimed an Udasi descent, though their lifestyle was by this time very different from that of the traditional Udasis.’
- ‘Not to be left behind, the other political parties have also not been averse to reaching out to the local mahants for support.’
- ‘A majority of the mahants criticised the Sangh Parivar for the deterioration of the temple town.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.