One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The broad elongated extension of the earth's magnetosphere on the side away from the sun.
- ‘In June 2001 Cluster began to explore the magnetotail - the region where storms of high energy particles are generated.’
- ‘The magnetotail is the part of the magnetosphere pushed in the direction of the solar wind - shaped like a giant windsock and stretching at least two million kilometres into space on the night side of the Earth.’
- ‘The orbit has to have some inclination to it for the apoapsis to get into the magnetotail.’
- ‘The moon enters the magnetotail three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side.’
- ‘"Earth's magnetotail extends well beyond the orbit of the moon and, once a month, the moon orbits through it," says Tim Stubbs, a University of Maryland scientist working at the Goddard Space Flight Center.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.