Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The broad elongated extension of the earth's magnetosphere on the side away from the sun.
- ‘The magnetotail is the part of the magnetosphere pushed in the direction of the solar wind - shaped like a giant windsock and stretching at least two million kilometres into space on the night side of the Earth.’
- ‘The moon enters the magnetotail three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side.’
- ‘In June 2001 Cluster began to explore the magnetotail - the region where storms of high energy particles are generated.’
- ‘The orbit has to have some inclination to it for the apoapsis to get into the magnetotail.’
- ‘"Earth's magnetotail extends well beyond the orbit of the moon and, once a month, the moon orbits through it," says Tim Stubbs, a University of Maryland scientist working at the Goddard Space Flight Center.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.