Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The region surrounding the earth or another astronomical body in which its magnetic field is the predominant effective magnetic field.
- ‘Unlike Earth, which sits inside a protective magnetic shield called the magnetosphere, Mars does not have a global magnetic field to protect it from solar flares and cosmic rays.’
- ‘Observations from Earth showed that Jupiter has a massive magnetosphere and that the planet emits radiation at radio wavelengths.’
- ‘August 2 marked the beginning of 10 days of flares and explosions that would stir up the magnetosphere and radiation belts of Earth.’
- ‘Like the Solar Wind, the magnetosphere is full of plasma, consisting of ions and electrons.’
- ‘Some of the currents that flow through the magnetosphere can flow down along the Earth's magnetic field to form two ovals of current centered on the north and south magnetic poles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.