Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The outer limit of a magnetosphere.
- ‘The magnetopause shown in the movie is based upon the empirical model of Petrinec and Russell.’
- ‘When the magnetopause is stationary it must be in equilibrium with all forces and torques balanced.’
- ‘The magnetosphere varies in size and shape, and its outer boundary - the magnetopause - gently undulates like a wave due to buffeting by the solar wind.’
- ‘Global stationary diffusion due to wave-particle interactions does not take place at the magnetopause.’
- ‘Our relatively puny magnetic field holds the Solar Wind at bay, at the magnetopause, a distance of 60,000 km from Earth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.