Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of physics that studies the behaviour of an electrically conducting fluid (such as a plasma or molten metal) acted on by a magnetic field.
- ‘Stewartson studied rotating fluid flows, shear layers, magnetohydrodynamics, the triple-deck theory, and flow at both high and low Reynolds numbers.’
- ‘In addition, the sun's atmosphere poses extremely interesting problems in magnetohydrodynamics and fundamental plasma physics that have important implications for a wide range of astrophysical and geophysical problems.’
- ‘My favorite in this category is magnetohydrodynamics, which is the study of plasmas and their interplay with electromagnetic fields.’
- ‘This textbook provides a modern and accessible introduction to magnetohydrodynamics.’
- ‘His work forms the basis of the modern science known as magnetohydrodynamics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.