One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In the course of time, a very considerable number of magnetisers, acknowledging Barbarin for their model, and called after him Barbarinists, appeared in different parts, and were believed to have effected some remarkable cures.’
- ‘Not only had the magnetiser the power of making himself heard by the somnambulists, but he could make them follow him by merely pointing his finger at them from a distance, though they had their eyes the whole time completely closed.’
- ‘Magnetized patients might be impervious to pain, obey the magnetizer's suggestions, or display abnormal abilities.’
- ‘‘The Scherzo’, says M. Berlioz, ‘is an extraordinary composition’; the very opening, though containing nothing terrible in itself, produces the same inexplicable emotion that is caused by the gaze of a magnetiser [i.e. mesmerist].’
- ‘In order to do this, he had to pierce the spiritual fog surrounding somnambulism, a fog that was traceable, in large part, to the practices of Franz Anton Mesmer and the ‘animal magnetizers’ of Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.