Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The motion or activity of magma.
- ‘The associated magmatism resulted in intrusion of volcanic rocks into the sedimentary basins, magmatic underplating at the base of the crust, and large amounts of extrusive material.’
- ‘The contemporaneity in ophiolite formation and felsic arc magmatism suggests that intraoceanic subduction started soon after the opening of the ocean basin.’
- ‘These igneous rocks record the extensive magmatism that resulted from northward subduction of Neotethyan oceanic lithosphere beneath the Lhasa terrane.’
- ‘Prior to Cretaceous magmatism, the region underwent three major episodes of deformation.’
- ‘Lithologies, stratigraphy and magmatism in the southern tract compare well with those described from the Karamba Complex in the Ladakh Himalaya, further west along the suture zone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.