One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The office or authority of a magistrate.‘he twice ran for a magistracy in his home town’
- ‘Apart from the traditional magistracies, his only posts were those of imperial legate in Italy (an innovation of Hadrian), in his case in Etruria and Umbria, where he owned land, and proconsul of Asia.’
- ‘Amicitia principum, friendship with the emperor, was a sure way of gaining access to senatorial magistracies and other honorable positions.’
- ‘Yet monarchies might still be democracies according to Bodin, if the prince allows all of the people to have access to magistracies and State offices without regard for nobility, wealth, or virtue.’
- ‘The most extensive privileges were enjoyed by the nobility and clergy, but guilds, municipalities, professional bodies like those of magistracies, and provinces also had their own prerogatives.’
- ‘And he defines a corrupt city as one in which the magistracies are no longer filled by those with the greatest virtue, but rather by those with the most power, and hence with the best prospects of serving their own selfish ends.’
- 1.1the magistracy Magistrates collectively.‘the problem is to persuade both their supporters and the judiciary and magistracy’
- ‘Hopefully they will then apply to become magistrates, thus enabling the magistracy to benefit from the wide variety of skills, cultures, life experience and backgrounds that can be found in every community throughout our country.’
- ‘They had less involvement in the gentry-dominated magistracy, which completely controlled the county police until 1888.’
- ‘A Government minister cannot bargain with individual members of the magistracy.’
- ‘If they must tackle it with purpose, they will need back-up from the laws applicable to illegal guns, and from the magistracy and judiciary.’
- ‘So I think that part of what's going on here is simply that as the nature of the magistracy changes, the nature of the way that you manage that group of people needs to change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.