One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy.
- ‘The opening sequence borders on magic realism in its surreal progression from the plausible, to the credibility-straining, to over-the-top mayhem.’
- ‘In her new collection of short fiction titled Engum Vaanam, she has introduced a number of narrative techniques that range from fantasy to magical realism.’
- ‘His principal mode is literary realism, though his second novel invokes the magic realism of a Toni Morrison work in its portrait of Roscoe's father's ghost.’
- ‘Garcia Marquez's magical realism works by making the connection between the fantastic and the realistic seamless; he narrates utterly implausible and plausible events alike in the style of verisimilitude.’
- ‘I'm really interested to know how you deal with incorporating surrealism or magical realism into your stories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.