One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Mafia or a similar criminal organization.
hoodlum, racketeer, bandit, robber, ruffian, thug, tough, desperado, outlaw, villain, lawbreaker, criminalView synonyms
- ‘Hess also maintained that self-help promoted by self interest amongst individual Mafioso could often be mistaken for organizational solidarity.’
- ‘Brought up in a household of Mafiosi, living on the tough streets of Los Angeles, I was no fool about the violence other people do to each other.’
- ‘As he knew himself, however, his father's own status as a Mafioso protected him from reprisals.’
- ‘Today, however, many senior Mafiosi in Italy and America have turned the state's evidence against the organisation.’
- ‘Being the first non-Italian Mafioso was a very attractive position; it would bring him the power and respect he had wanted since he was a teenager.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.