One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a group of dark-coloured, mainly ferromagnesian minerals such as pyroxene and olivine.Often contrasted with felsic
- ‘The Musgrave Block consists of granulite-facies felsic gneisses, granites, felsic and mafic granulites, and voluminous mafic-ultramafic intrusive rocks.’
- ‘Variably serpentinized Devonian mafic and ultramafic intrusive rocks occur in the western and northern parts of the map area.’
- ‘If such adiabatic freezing were to control the ascent of hydrous mafic magmas, basalts would probably never erupt in volcanic arcs.’
- ‘The alternating bands of mafic and felsic minerals are a striking and distinctive feature of all gneisses.’
- ‘In particular, in most of the eastern part of the complex, mafic minerals are very uncommon.’
Early 20th century: blend of magnesium and a contracted form of ferric.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.