adjective & adverbMusic
(especially as a direction) in a majestic manner.exalted, august, great, awesome, elevated, sublime, loftyView synonyms
A movement or passage marked to be performed in a majestic manner.
- ‘Rabotkina brought refreshing restraint and imaginative, often poetic musical shape to the thrice familiar Allegro non troppo e molto maestoso.’
- ‘Andante maestoso was not an overblown anticlimax but the real apotheosis of Tchaikovsky's musical argument.’
- ‘Listen to Anderszewski play the opening of the first Variation marked Alla Marcia maestoso.’
- ‘The opening Allegro maestoso is winningly done whilst the lovely Andante semplice also contains much that is beautiful and simple at the same time.’
- ‘Moderato e maestoso, the fourth movement, sent me back into the cool night with delight of the highest order.’
Italian, majestic, based on Latin majestas majesty.