Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small North American freshwater catfish which has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines.
- ‘The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.’
- ‘The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.’
- ‘The Carolina madtom appears to be a declining species throughout its range.’
- ‘The four listed fish are the spotfin chub, yellowfin madtom, smoky madtom, and duskytail darter.’
- ‘Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.