One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small North American freshwater catfish which has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines.
Genus Noturus, family Ictaluridae: numerous species
- ‘The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.’
- ‘The four listed fish are the spotfin chub, yellowfin madtom, smoky madtom, and duskytail darter.’
- ‘Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.’
- ‘The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.’
- ‘The Carolina madtom appears to be a declining species throughout its range.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.