One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A man whose success in life is assured.‘he became a made man in Hollywood when he was hired to run a film studio’
- ‘They take vows of fidelity to the Family, and they respect other made men.’
- ‘While he brought the depth needed to the character's past as a prizefighter (the boxing flashbacks were very well done) he simply didn't look the part of an Italian made man.’
- ‘Apparently, you aren't a made man unless you have a monicker to append to your given name.’
- ‘All these made men - you took stock of them by how nice they dressed, what kind of watch they wore, what kind of shoes, what suit.’
- ‘Kernaghan is suddenly a made man, part of the Rolodex of the press.’
- ‘McManus, though, remains a modest rather than a made man as he prepares for the major test of Premierleague leaders Hearts at Celtic Park on Saturday.’
- ‘A made man, Whelan became a regular fixture on RTE television, presenting Where in the World?’
- ‘She knew L's father was a made man and could easily make that happen but the problem was Diamond.’
- ‘Paul Walker is Brian Spindler, a racing amateur looking to become a made man in Toretto's organization.’
- ‘And with it, Christopher Nolan announces that he is a made man in the family of the very top filmmakers in the world today.’
- ‘Ahead of his August 2002 arrival in Scotland, Hedman appeared a made man.’
- 1.1 A man who has been formally inducted as a full member of the Mafia.
- ‘But his Albanian origins and lacking Sicilian blood meant that he could never rise up the ranks to become a "made man".’
- ‘By the time he was "pulled out" of his undercover life, he was about to become a "made man" in the Mob.’
- ‘He plays Christopher Moltisanti, a recent made man in the Soprano organization.’
- ‘When the tapes were released this year, you could hear these genuine made men arguing about which Sopranos character they were meant to be.’
- ‘When I asked him what my job would be as a "made man" he informed me that it would be entirely up to me.’
- ‘Sal wanted to be a made man.’
- ‘He once compared entering the inner circle to becoming a "made man" in a Mafia family.’
- ‘Television shows such as The Sopranos have made Americans as familiar with the language and customs of the Mafia as any made man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.