Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A man whose success in life is assured.‘he became a made man in Hollywood when he was hired to run a film studio’
- ‘McManus, though, remains a modest rather than a made man as he prepares for the major test of Premierleague leaders Hearts at Celtic Park on Saturday.’
- ‘While he brought the depth needed to the character's past as a prizefighter (the boxing flashbacks were very well done) he simply didn't look the part of an Italian made man.’
- ‘Ahead of his August 2002 arrival in Scotland, Hedman appeared a made man.’
- ‘And with it, Christopher Nolan announces that he is a made man in the family of the very top filmmakers in the world today.’
- ‘A made man, Whelan became a regular fixture on RTE television, presenting Where in the World?’
- ‘Kernaghan is suddenly a made man, part of the Rolodex of the press.’
- ‘She knew L's father was a made man and could easily make that happen but the problem was Diamond.’
- ‘Apparently, you aren't a made man unless you have a monicker to append to your given name.’
- ‘They take vows of fidelity to the Family, and they respect other made men.’
- ‘All these made men - you took stock of them by how nice they dressed, what kind of watch they wore, what kind of shoes, what suit.’
- ‘Paul Walker is Brian Spindler, a racing amateur looking to become a made man in Toretto's organization.’
- 1.1A man who has been formally inducted as a full member of the Mafia.
- ‘When I asked him what my job would be as a "made man" he informed me that it would be entirely up to me.’
- ‘But his Albanian origins and lacking Sicilian blood meant that he could never rise up the ranks to become a "made man".’
- ‘Sal wanted to be a made man.’
- ‘Television shows such as The Sopranos have made Americans as familiar with the language and customs of the Mafia as any made man.’
- ‘He once compared entering the inner circle to becoming a "made man" in a Mafia family.’
- ‘When the tapes were released this year, you could hear these genuine made men arguing about which Sopranos character they were meant to be.’
- ‘By the time he was "pulled out" of his undercover life, he was about to become a "made man" in the Mob.’
- ‘He plays Christopher Moltisanti, a recent made man in the Soprano organization.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.