One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of skin discoloration.
spot, mark, patch, pop, dot, speck, speckle, freckle, smudge, smear, streak, stain, blotch, blot, splash, dab, daubView synonyms
- ‘Impetigo is characterized by red macules and vesicles that can rupture with purulent exudates.’
- ‘The skin lesions are nonpalpable macules that may persist for months to years and are typically asymptomatic except for the cosmetic appearance.’
- ‘The lesions first appear as macules or papules distributed in a dermatomal pattern, which progress into vesicles, then pustules, and, finally, crusts.’
- ‘The ash-colored macules vary in size and shape and are localized to the arms, neck and trunk.’
- ‘The rash typically begins as pink macules, 2 to 6 mm in diameter, located on the wrists, forearms, ankles, palms and soles.’
Late 15th century: from French, or from Latin macula ‘spot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.