One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the macula of the eye.‘macular degeneration’
- ‘A history of coronary artery bypass grafting or angioplasty was associated with macular degeneration.’
- ‘Cessation of smoking and a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables should be recommended in patients who are found on routine testing to have bilateral age related macular changes with normal central vision,.’
- ‘Loss of vitreous gel can occur, predisposing the patient to postoperative inflammation, macular oedema, or retinal detachment.’
- ‘New treatments such as photodynamic therapy and macular surgery may limit the extent of visual loss and in a few cases even restore sight.’
- ‘High levels of antioxidants and zinc significantly reduce the risk of advanced age-related macular degeneration and its associated vision loss.’
Consisting of a distinct spot or spots.‘a red macular rash’
spotty, spotted, blemished, blotched, patchy, uneven, smudged, freckled, marked, smeary, streaked, stippled, covered with blotchesView synonyms
- ‘Patients often initially present with the classic erythema migrans rash, a macular, erythematous, circular area with central clearing that expands around the site of the tick bite.’
- ‘The rash was erythematous, well demarcated, and macular.’
- ‘A 17 year old man was referred with a 12 hour history of generalised headache, mild photophobia, and a rash on his body that was macular and blanching.’
- ‘The lesions are pink and macular and fade with applied pressure.’
- ‘However, a reddish-purple macular rash with lesions about 3 to 8 mm in diameter was scattered across the abdomen and upper thighs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.