Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a ring composed of a relatively large number of atoms, such as occur in haem, chlorophyll, and several natural antibiotics.
- ‘Collectively, they are called tetraamido macrocyclic ligands or TAML for short.’
- ‘The polar head is a macrocyclic lactone ring containing nine amino acid residues, three of which have positive charges, whereas one has negative charge.’
- ‘The intermolecular interactions between the viologens and the macrocyclic molecule were investigated in a solution before photoirradiation.’
- ‘Epothilones, macrocyclic lactones from culture filtrates of the myxobacterium Sorangium cellulosum, are known as taxol-like microtubular drugs in human medicine.’
- ‘A porphyrin is a macrocyclic (large cycle) molecule that is made up of four smaller pyrrolenine rings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.