One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a ring composed of a relatively large number of atoms, such as occur in haem, chlorophyll, and several natural antibiotics.
- ‘The polar head is a macrocyclic lactone ring containing nine amino acid residues, three of which have positive charges, whereas one has negative charge.’
- ‘Epothilones, macrocyclic lactones from culture filtrates of the myxobacterium Sorangium cellulosum, are known as taxol-like microtubular drugs in human medicine.’
- ‘The intermolecular interactions between the viologens and the macrocyclic molecule were investigated in a solution before photoirradiation.’
- ‘Collectively, they are called tetraamido macrocyclic ligands or TAML for short.’
- ‘A porphyrin is a macrocyclic (large cycle) molecule that is made up of four smaller pyrrolenine rings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.