One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Californian cypress tree with a large spreading crown of horizontal branches and leaves that smell of lemon when crushed.Also called Monterey cypress
- ‘They particularly like the bark of macrocarpa.’
- ‘Perspective moves back as the canvases widen to capture the sweep of the plains and the Port Hills, flanks of foothills, cloud shadows swarming over land, rows of vigilant macrocarpa, rashes of pine forest.’
- ‘One that remained had been converted into a permanent home, protected from the house-flattening storms by a stand of macrocarpa which enveloped completely the house.’
- ‘The site can still be picked up by a line of macrocarpas stumps.’
- ‘Only a ring of macrocarpas is left to mark the spot where the building was destroyed by fire.’
- ‘Today the view is hidden behind mighty macrocarpa and native bush, but the setting is no less awe inspiring.’
- ‘Beside the field was a thick tangled patch of macrocarpa trees.’
- ‘They searched low and then high, finally spying Tiger at the tip-top of a macrocarpa tree.’
- ‘In addition to the fir trees there are rowan, macrocarpa, eucalyptus and larch, and some native plants such as hard fern, matagouri, tussock, manuka, coprosma, and dracophyllum (the grass tree).’
- ‘Massive macrocarpa were felled in the areas now known as the children's playground, Goodwin Dell and Ambush Gully.’
- ‘East coast means browned off grass, old-man pine and macrocarpa on the ridges.’
- ‘I would like to table the example, which is the exact same species on the valley floor of Card Creek: macrocarpa.’
- ‘Timbers - jarrah, kauri, macrocarpa - were hand adzed to ‘give them a woody character, and the forest origin of the timber is not lost.’’
- ‘The bar has designed its female toilets to impress - with large slabs of macrocarpa as sinks and TV screens playing music videos.’
- ‘He ate holes in the macrocarpa hedge so that the kids could supply him with sweets and apples.’
- ‘In 1901 a new homestead had been built of kauri and lined with macrocarpa.’
- ‘Other attractions of the Takapu Road area include the Bucket Tree, a remarkable living tree sculpture made from an ancient macrocarpa, and the adjacent motel and bar.’
- ‘The brighter side to the carnage is that it has hit exotic species hardest, particularly pines and macrocarpas.’
- ‘It is built of macrocarpa from Orton Bradley Park.’
- ‘During that time, Jack discovered a lack of fences, a dark forest of macrocarpa, small bridges with rotting rails and a larger one needing a fresh splash of red.’
Early 20th century: modern Latin, from macro- + Greek karpos ‘fruit’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.