Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consisting of or relating to a diet of organic wholefoods which is based on Buddhist principles of the balance of yin and yang.‘macrobiotic foods’‘I shared a house with friends who were macrobiotic’
- ‘Lower bone mineral content also was found in children who had consumed a macrobiotic diet compared with those who had not consumed a macrobiotic diet in the first six years of life.’
- ‘She practices yoga, keeps a macrobiotic diet, and is a devoted student of Kabbalah, a mystical form of Judaism, which predates organized religion.’
- ‘I went on a very strict macrobiotic diet and I didn't go out partying.’
- ‘The macrobiotic diet contains whole foods that are extremely high in natural minerals and include: grains, beans, vegetables and sea vegetables, sea salt, and miso.’
- ‘The problem was that Eric decided to go on a macrobiotic diet to cleanse his system and he lost so much weight you could see his skull under his skin.’
- ‘Years ago, in fact, when Carol Channing was following a macrobiotic diet, she would show up in the best restaurants and fanciest homes with a little brown bag with her meal therein.’
- ‘In addition, persons that are strict vegetarians or have macrobiotic diets may need vitamin B 12 supplements.’
- ‘Soft-shelled varieties, especially that called ‘Ma-Yuen’, are preferred for eating, for example in macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘Twenty-five years ago, when yoga was strictly for the bearded, and macrobiotic diets were not remotely fashionable, Kathy Phillips took up both.’
- ‘Both in college and again in the eighties, I followed macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘Like Gwyneth, she opted for a macrobiotic diet, in which no wheat, meat or dairy products are allowed.’
- ‘What's the number one treat in the macrobiotic diet?’
- ‘If you've been scared off Atkins, confused by the latest macrobiotic diet or are fed up with protein shakes, don't despair.’
- ‘Her two-hour sunrise yoga sessions and macrobiotic diet (though hers appears to include wine and cheese) have been held up as instances of fussy obsessiveness.’
- ‘The other problem is that the only other time she felt good about her body and weight was on a very strict macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘I wanted my body to devote itself to getting better, not digesting unhealthy food, so I worked out a diet based on macrobiotic and Ayurvedic principles and ate only organically grown food.’
- ‘I've followed a healthy macrobiotic diet for 10 years now, which means that I try to stick to fresh organic food and avoid dairy and meat.’
- ‘Maybe it's her macrobiotic diet, or the pressures of being a young mother, or the fact that she's married to a man who writes nothing but dreary, whiny songs all the time.’
- ‘Umm, there is nothing on the menu that fits a macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘If a macrobiotic diet is healthy it is by accident, since foods are selected not for their physical or nutritional qualities, but for their metaphysical properties.’
[treated as singular] The use or theory of a macrobiotic diet.
- ‘He enrolled on a course in macrobiotics in London - and four years later, in 1993, left with a certificate from the London School of Macrobiotics and membership of the Macrobiotics Association of Great Britain.’
- ‘In macrobiotics some food is beneficial at certain times.’
- ‘Ooh, and she gave up macrobiotics and started eating biscuits for her little biscuit!’
- ‘It explains and questions such disparate subjects as Congolese dinosaurs, Kabbalah and macrobiotics.’
- ‘Japanese macrobiotics uses a grated poultice of the taro potato which grows in tropical, hot countries.’
- ‘What impressed me most about that weekend was the number of people who'd taken up macrobiotics and recovered from a variety of illnesses.’
- ‘My family moved through fads and phases very quickly, everything from EST training to crystal healing, macrobiotics and cooperative living.’
- ‘He did not think about being a cook until sometime in his late 20s, when he started investigating macrobiotics.’
- ‘From macrobiotics to South Beach, celebrities can't seem to get enough of them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.