One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A confident, successful man who has many sexual partners.
- ‘He has at one time or another promoted an image of a pimp daddy mack, a dope peddler, a businessman, a political teacher, a gangsta, and a revolutionary.’
- ‘Handsome Chris, a player and mack of the highest order, needs no help from me.’
- ‘Not that I had ever dated many girls (two to be exact), so not being a total Mack was not a complete surprise to my parents.’
- ‘Distinguishing himself even further from the new-school wannabes, he projected across the back wall a live, up-close feed of his fleet-fingered hands working the decks, just so you could see what a total mack he is.’
- ‘And it is not just the mack who is revived, but the women who will do anything for him, including sell their bodies.’
Late 19th century (in sense ‘a pimp’): shortened from mackerel ‘pimp’, or directly from French maquereau.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.