Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who operates a machine.
machinist, mechanic, operative, engineer, driver, workerView synonyms
- ‘Employees were merely machine minders.’
- ‘As the data volumes grow the result will tend to be teams of disempowered machine minders chained to a system that has ground to a halt.’
- ‘She left school at 14 and went to work as a shop assistant, a machine minder and a photographer's assistant.’
- ‘Promoted at sixteen from errand boy to machine minder, he took up a three-year printing apprenticeship, and joined the Typographical Association.’
- ‘The 45-year-old machine minder had been seen leaving a pub after an all-day binge.’
- ‘In 38 years with the paper he rose from machine minder to become the man who was in charge of the night-time printing operation.’
- ‘The weavers found themselves downgraded to mere machine-minders.’
- ‘The scientists themselves gradually become specialist machine-minders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.