One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who operates a machine.
machinist, mechanic, operative, engineer, driver, workerView synonyms
- ‘As the data volumes grow the result will tend to be teams of disempowered machine minders chained to a system that has ground to a halt.’
- ‘The 45-year-old machine minder had been seen leaving a pub after an all-day binge.’
- ‘The scientists themselves gradually become specialist machine-minders.’
- ‘Promoted at sixteen from errand boy to machine minder, he took up a three-year printing apprenticeship, and joined the Typographical Association.’
- ‘She left school at 14 and went to work as a shop assistant, a machine minder and a photographer's assistant.’
- ‘Employees were merely machine minders.’
- ‘In 38 years with the paper he rose from machine minder to become the man who was in charge of the night-time printing operation.’
- ‘The weavers found themselves downgraded to mere machine-minders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.