Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a material) able to be worked by a machine tool.‘machinable steel plate’
- ‘The different types vary from grey iron which is machinable to either mottled or white iron which is not easily machinable.’
- ‘Ketton stone, a machinable oolitic limestone, was sampled and tested by Buro Happold for creep and strength characteristics and to decide on an appropriate mortar.’
- ‘While fiberglass/epoxy laminates or machinable polyurethane boards are often used to produce high-volume thermoform molds for forming ABS sheet, there are alternatives.’
- ‘Through the addition of manganese sulfide to the powder, we have a material that is machinable and still has a hardness in the Rockwell 26-27 range.’
- ‘The deposits are not machinable and are very difficult to grind.’
- ‘Joints made with the LTB process were thermally stable, resistant to common solvents, vacuum compatible, relatively stress free, machinable, and transparent to UV, visible, and IR radiation.’
- ‘Castings can be annealed to make them more machinable, either by sub-critical annealing or a full anneal.’
- ‘It can be purposely combined with other metals to create readily machinable, high strength alloys.’
- ‘The public are still not complying with our request for machinable mail.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.