Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the speed of a body to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It is often used with a numeral (as Mach 1, Mach 2, etc.) to indicate the speed of sound, twice the speed of sound, etc.
- ‘Cleet and his brethren have a Mach 2 - nearly 1,400 mph - passport out of harm's way.’
- ‘From Tiger Moths, to the Mach 1.2 Albatross jet, the business flies the aircraft that stir the blood.’
- ‘Eurofighter has ‘supercruise’ capability: it can fly at sustained speeds of over Mach 1 without the use of afterburner.’
- ‘A Mach number is a measure of airspeed, and not of ground speed.’
- ‘When the P - 38 wing developed a supersonic enclosure at the critical Mach number, the center of pressure moved aft, causing the nose to tuck down.’
- ‘The A - 10 can also carry the Sidewinder air-to-air missile, which is an all-aspect short-range missile with maximum speed over Mach 2.’
- ‘The party atmosphere as we roared across the Atlantic at twice the speed of sound, Mach 2, 1,350 miles per hour, at the very edge of space.’
- ‘The use of Mach number to characterize flight speed is rooted in the basic physics of fluid flow.’
- ‘On its third flight, the aircraft broke the sound barrier, reaching a speed of Mach 1.1.’
- ‘The 186-pound AIM - 9 has been produced in many variants, but may be described in general as a solid fuel rocket with a Mach 2 speed and a range of 10 miles.’
- ‘Want to make a Mach 5 airplane, bridge the Bering Strait, shrink a chip by a factor of ten?’
- ‘She must hold a perfectly aerodynamic headfirst position with her arms at her sides when she hits Mach 1 (the speed of sound) and goes through the shock wave.’
- ‘Going Mach 2 in the sleek jet ranked in the Top 10 among viewers.’
- ‘The engine develops 131.7kN and the speed of the aircraft is Mach 2.’
- ‘Max cruise speed remains the same for both airplanes at Mach 0.82.’
- ‘To prepare for the Mach 10 flight, the third scramjet was upgraded slightly.’
- ‘They are boost launched from a zero length launcher and then powered by a jet engine in the cruise, reaching speeds up to 0.53 Mach.’
- ‘Sidewinder is an all-aspect short-range missile with maximum speed over Mach 2, for defence against hostile aircraft.’
- ‘It will also travel at speeds similar to today's fastest wide bodies, Mach 0.85.’
- ‘The missile uses command updated inertial guidance and reaches high subsonic speed, 0.9 Mach.’
1930s: named after Ernst Mach (see Mach, Ernst).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.