Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A medium-sized, chiefly forest-dwelling Old World monkey which has a long face and cheek pouches for holding food.
- ‘Terrace's research with macaques (humble monkeys, not apes) casts doubt on the claim that only humans have declarative knowledge.’
- ‘These animals include giraffes, penguins, macaques, bonobos, and geese.’
- ‘By contrast, many Old World monkeys, such as baboons and macaques, live longer, start to reproduce later, and have more time between babies.’
- ‘Another puzzling aspect of the spotted hyena's social structure is that it closely resembles that of the socially complex old-world monkeys, a group including baboons and macaques.’
- ‘A free-ranging vervet monkey, baboon, or macaque recognizes other members of his group as individuals.’
- ‘As I reported in another recent post fetal alcohol exposure in early pregnancy or during the full length of pregnancy in rhesus macaque monkeys resulted in macaques that had blunted responses to stimuli.’
- ‘Long-tailed macaque monkeys and silver leaf monkeys are ever-present.’
- ‘In other words, if the urge to have sex is strong enough it may spill over into nonreproductive sex, as suggested by the actions of the bonobos and macaques.’
- ‘A lot more is known about cercopithecines, such as macaques, baboons and vervets, because many of them are ground-dwelling monkeys which are relatively easy to study.’
- ‘Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.’
- ‘Even more strangely, the ranges of all but two of Vietnam's primates - the lesser slow loris and the bear macaque - are restricted to either the north or the south of the country.’
- ‘Primate species are gibbons, langurs, lorises and macaques.’
- ‘Experiments on three species of primates - vervets, macaques, and humans - also demonstrated that parents play favorites, to the benefit of healthier offspring.’
- ‘Chimps and gorillas have been taught to use complex sign languages, Rhesus macaques demonstrate knowledge of basic math, and baboons are known to commonly deceive one another to their own ends.’
- ‘It will be very interesting to get similar data for macaques and other monkeys.’
- ‘She said animals used for testing in phase one trials were mainly rodents and primates, in particular macaques and marmosets.’
- ‘They included baboons, chimpanzees, and macaques - all known to live in large, mixed-sex groups.’
- ‘First, macaques, cebus, great apes, and humans transverse the same sequence of stages in the development of logical as well as physical cognition during the sensorimotor period.’
- ‘Back on the land, ferret badgers take turns with otters, ground squirrels and crab-eating macaques to stalk out their territory on the numerous white sandy beaches.’
- ‘Jaw and tongue motions during suckling have been investigated in the macaque, opossum and pig.’
Late 17th century: via French and Portuguese; based on the Bantu morpheme ma (denoting a plural) + kaku monkey.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.