One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium-sized, chiefly forest-dwelling Old World monkey which has a long face and cheek pouches for holding food.
Genus Macaca, family Cercopithecidae: several species, including the rhesus monkey
- ‘It will be very interesting to get similar data for macaques and other monkeys.’
- ‘Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.’
- ‘In other words, if the urge to have sex is strong enough it may spill over into nonreproductive sex, as suggested by the actions of the bonobos and macaques.’
- ‘Chimps and gorillas have been taught to use complex sign languages, Rhesus macaques demonstrate knowledge of basic math, and baboons are known to commonly deceive one another to their own ends.’
- ‘Another puzzling aspect of the spotted hyena's social structure is that it closely resembles that of the socially complex old-world monkeys, a group including baboons and macaques.’
- ‘These animals include giraffes, penguins, macaques, bonobos, and geese.’
- ‘Long-tailed macaque monkeys and silver leaf monkeys are ever-present.’
- ‘Experiments on three species of primates - vervets, macaques, and humans - also demonstrated that parents play favorites, to the benefit of healthier offspring.’
- ‘Back on the land, ferret badgers take turns with otters, ground squirrels and crab-eating macaques to stalk out their territory on the numerous white sandy beaches.’
- ‘She said animals used for testing in phase one trials were mainly rodents and primates, in particular macaques and marmosets.’
- ‘First, macaques, cebus, great apes, and humans transverse the same sequence of stages in the development of logical as well as physical cognition during the sensorimotor period.’
- ‘Jaw and tongue motions during suckling have been investigated in the macaque, opossum and pig.’
- ‘Terrace's research with macaques (humble monkeys, not apes) casts doubt on the claim that only humans have declarative knowledge.’
- ‘By contrast, many Old World monkeys, such as baboons and macaques, live longer, start to reproduce later, and have more time between babies.’
- ‘Even more strangely, the ranges of all but two of Vietnam's primates - the lesser slow loris and the bear macaque - are restricted to either the north or the south of the country.’
- ‘A lot more is known about cercopithecines, such as macaques, baboons and vervets, because many of them are ground-dwelling monkeys which are relatively easy to study.’
- ‘As I reported in another recent post fetal alcohol exposure in early pregnancy or during the full length of pregnancy in rhesus macaque monkeys resulted in macaques that had blunted responses to stimuli.’
- ‘They included baboons, chimpanzees, and macaques - all known to live in large, mixed-sex groups.’
- ‘A free-ranging vervet monkey, baboon, or macaque recognizes other members of his group as individuals.’
- ‘Primate species are gibbons, langurs, lorises and macaques.’
Late 17th century: via French and Portuguese; based on the Bantu morpheme ma (denoting a plural) + kaku ‘monkey’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.