One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of Macao, especially one of mixed Chinese and Portuguese descent.
- ‘With 11 casinos, 10,000 staff and a tax bill that provides two-thirds of Government revenue, Ho was seen by most Macanese as sure to keep his license.’
- ‘Among the Chinese, the extended family, based on lineage connections, remains important; among Portuguese and Macanese, the nuclear family is the common domestic unit.’
- ‘The young Macanese driver will be at the Pembrey Circuit on August 18-19 to test Carlin Motorsport's new model Dallara Mugen-Honda.’
- ‘After 400 years of Portuguese rule, the colonizers' bloodlines have been embedded in the makeup of the country to produce some delightful fusions - the handsome Macanese and their glorious cuisine.’
- ‘The Portuguese have seemed to close their ranks, although the Macanese are in a more vulnerable position due to the pull of Chinese culture.’
- ‘Therefore, sending Portuguese passport holding Macanese to Taiwan on intelligence missions is very convenient for Beijing.’
2mass noun A Portuguese Creole formerly used in Macao.
- ‘Since the first Chinese immigrants came from Macau, some of these also speak Macanese, a Portuguese Creole also known as Patuá.’
- ‘However, I do understand my parents when they speak Macanese, and if required, I could carry on a simple conversation in Macanese.’
- ‘The old Macanese language (Patuá, or Makista) was a typical Creole language, based on Portuguese but heavily influenced by various Chinese dialects and by Malay.’
Relating to Macao or the Macanese.
- ‘‘I will still need to work on my fitness’, added the young Macanese star.’
- ‘First, the Macanese authorities did not receive an application to operate a casino on an aircraft carrier in the enclave.’
- ‘Then I remembered I hadn't had breakfast, so I traipsed down the Rua de Santo Paolo to eat some Macanese food in town.’
- ‘As well as fielding Chinese hopeful Wang, the new Team China, headed by Macanese motorsport veteran Ao Chi-Hong, will run China drivers Song Ge and Chia On for the opening rounds in Bahrain.’
- ‘Hsieh said he was heading a team of officials and business executives to attract Macanese investors and holidaymakers to Hualien.’
- ‘Her detailed description of the interplay of Portuguese dishes with Cantonese cooking and also the indigenous Macanese cuisine abounds in interesting detail.’
- ‘A typical Macanese paradox: cross a street and you feel you are in China; cross another and you find yourself in Europe, Portugal to be precise.’
From Macao, on the pattern of words such as Japanese.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.