Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An Australian rainforest tree with slender, glossy evergreen leaves and globular edible nuts.
- ‘My wife and I find that the crickets are nosier than the frogs, and best of all, the mosquitoes have all but disappeared from our macadamia orchard.’
- ‘The embryo of macadamia comprises the edible kernel.’
- ‘The Tin Dog, a Byron hinterland retreat surrounded by subtropical rainforest and macadamia plantations, is the creation of former Sydney-siders, Mark and Sue Kelly.’
- ‘He also offered funding towards a code of practice for the macadamia industry, currently being developed by Lismore Council.’
- ‘More still needed to be done to diversify into crops such as smallcrops, olives, macadamias and hemp.’
- ‘Felix got him interested in macadamias, and Chris has been to Australia to collect breeding material.’
- ‘Saxby Bridge has enthusiastically marketed all sorts of tax effective schemes involving things like tea trees, macadamias, wine and even online lingerie.’
- ‘Around 1882 the macadamia was introduced to Hawaii, and flourished.’
- ‘The group has visited outlying towns like Tenterfield, as well as the University, Nimbin, a dairy farm, the Lismore saleyards, and a macadamia farm.’
- ‘More than 50,000 Mum and Dad investors claimed billions in tax deductions through the '90s for investing in things like macadamias, tea-trees and wine.’
- ‘This annual two-day specialist field day for the horticultural and macadamia industries attracts over 4000 people.’
- ‘The gang from Malibu Adjacent travel to Hawaii, where Notch meets up with his old friend, King Kumonya, a macadamia farmer with the biggest, juiciest nuts Notch has even eaten.’
- ‘‘We have appliances for catering businesses, macadamia farms and coffee plantations for example,’ John said.’
- ‘Changes to the Threatened Species Conservation Act potentially prevent macadamia trees from being cleared from the area because they are classed as native flora.’
- ‘Hot and humid weather is threatening to cost the local macadamia industry $6 million after a rotting disease was found in number of orchards.’
- ‘Scuba divers explore the Julian Rocks Marine Reserve while bushwalkers stride into the rolling green hinterlands, through koala forests and macadamia plantations.’
- 1.1The edible nut of the macadamia tree.
- ‘Almonds, cashews and macadamias are full of monounsaturated fats, which help lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol.’
- ‘I was so embarrassed that I had to buy those macadamias by way of apology.’
- ‘Beyond Dunoon - the macadamia capital of Australia - unfolds a rolling dairy country of tin-roofed homesteads surrounded by dusty purple mountains.’
- ‘He sniffed at the air just as Kat's parents came through the door, bearing a large plate of white chocolate macadamia cookies, and long, cold glasses of milk to go with.’
- ‘Although a macadamia nut is 75% fat, most of the fat is monounsaturated.’
- ‘Scoop in piles of cashews, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pumpkin seeds or whatever you please.’
- ‘Try a California pistachio after one of these and you might as well be eating a macadamia.’
- ‘In this recipe I have used a mixture of pecans and macadamia as I like the contrast of texture and flavour.’
- ‘There is also macadamia nut oil, avocado oil and divine macadamia nougat.’
- ‘Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ.’
- ‘A rich macadamia oil was rubbed all over my body, and the full-body massage began while the haunting strains of Aboriginal music plays softly in the background.’
- ‘It had a lively fresh citrus bouquet, and there was something else to the presentation on the taste buds, almost like buttery macadamias from Hawaii.’
- ‘Like two other symbols of Hawaii, the pineapple and the macadamia nut, the ukulele is in fact an immigrant.’
- ‘There are two categories - baking and cooking, for both professionals and amateurs, for a sweet or savoury recipe featuring macadamias and the herb of your choice.’
- ‘Some of the newest gourmet flavored coffee includes vanilla, macadamia, and even peanut butter!’
- ‘Its flavour has been likened to a cross between a Brazil nut and a macadamia nut.’
- ‘Vinaigrettes can be made with all sorts of different oils, from the obvious olive or sunflower to macadamia, avocado or hempseed.’
- ‘First, I consumed the entire box of chocolate macadamia cookies at the back of my fridge.’
- ‘Place macadamias on a baking tray and roast until light golden for about 8 minutes.’
- ‘Many natural- and gourmet-food markets also carry almond, macadamia, Brazil nut, pistachio, cashew, pumpkin seed, hazelnut and sunflower seed butters.’
Modern Latin, named after John Macadam (1827–65), Australian chemist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.