Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or causing lysis:‘the lytic activity of bile acids’
- ‘To characterize the mode of inhibition, they analyzed whether binding of eiseniapore to membranes and lytic activity were affected by these substances.’
- ‘Studies on the lytic activity against Phytophthora cell wall of root protein extracts also corroborated a systemic effect of mycorrhizal symbiosis on tomato resistance to Phytophthora.’
- ‘Lysis is caused by enzymes known as lytic enzymes that are secreted by the antibodies.’
- ‘Thus, lysogeny seems to be a survival strategy at low host abundance and activity, whereas high host abundance and activity seems to favor the lytic life cycle.’
- ‘An informative monitoring technique in ecological immunology is to quantify lytic activity over time, which measures the status of the invertebrate immune system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.