One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organelle in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells containing degradative enzymes enclosed in a membrane.
- ‘The spindle cell population consisted of bipolar cells with large oval nuclei that contained macronucleoli and scattered rough endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, and lysosomes within their cytoplasm.’
- ‘For instance, within the individual cell, the subcellular sites of photo-damage may include the plasma membrane, the lysosomes and the mitochondria.’
- ‘These efforts have successfully identified mitochondria, lysosomes and various cytoplasmic membranes as among the primary targets of PDT-mediated damage, depending on the particular photosensitizer.’
- ‘Furthermore, it is not enough simply to treat patients with recombinant enzymes - modifications must be made so that the infused enzyme is targeted to lysosomes in relevant cells and tissues.’
- ‘In all eukaryotic cells the lysosomes or vacuoles play major cellular turnover roles, including autophagy where entire organelles are delivered to them for turnover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.