Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Freeze-dry (a substance):‘the resulting precipitate was dissolved in benzene and lyophilized to give a powder’
dried, freeze-dried, dehydratedView synonyms
- ‘The starch granules were lyophilized in a freeze-drier for 48 h.’
- ‘Samples conserved in liquid nitrogen are lyophilized prior to analysis.’
- ‘A recent approach to reduce the interlaboratory variation has been to prepare a calibration curve using calibrated lyophilized plasmas.’
- ‘The aqueous extract was lyophilized to obtain a powder.’
- ‘Cell wall material was then lyophilized and weighed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.