One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band of people intent on lynching someone.
- ‘Texas secessionists organized lynch mobs across the state to murder anyone who opposed secession.’
- ‘In Young Mr. Lincoln, the bad crowd is a lynch mob out to hang alleged murderers who knifed a man, and the good crowd is the same group of people seated during a trial as the real murderer is identified.’
- ‘But really they go back to the old-style lynch mobs.’
- ‘While blogs certainly empower lynch mobs, they can also lead to long and open conversations, virtual town meetings.’
- ‘They could be distinguished from more ad hoc mobs, including lynch mobs, by their structured nature and their semipermanence.’
- ‘Supporters resisted the urge to form lynch mobs outside Pittodrie and when the telephone rang it was Milne on the receiving end.’
- ‘In Britain 2001, banning the printed word is seen as a catch-all solution to problems of physical safety, from lynch mobs to the potential threat posed by convicted killers of children.’
- ‘And then you've got the smaller kinds, the riots in the US, what they call the lynch mobs.’
- ‘All it will take is a decline in economic conditions and the lynch mobs will be out.’
- ‘They occurred in the North, Midwest and Far West, but the highest numbers were in the South where lynch mobs killed all estimated 3,943 persons between 1880 and 1930.’
- ‘Yet those talk-show audiences can be like lynch mobs.’
- ‘Of course, it may not be wholly appropriate to compare the once-powerful Qusai and Uday to the anonymous and powerless African Americans set upon by white lynch mobs.’
- ‘We should love persuasion bunches, who operate through peaceful persuasion, while hating lynch mobs, who operate through violence and coercion.’
- ‘Just as the fires of xenophobia were flaring deeper to singe even legal immigrants, the economy recovered and thankfully the generals of the night abandoned the alien lynch mobs to join the hoot party.’
- ‘Many episodes of anti-Mexican mob violence involve lynch mobs that broke into jails to retrieve their victims.’
- ‘Democracy is a wonderful thing, but lynch mobs can vote, too.’
- ‘People forget one thing: more people have been killed by lynch mobs and the Klan and other white supremacists than by any other group in this country.’
- ‘This is reinforced by sequences showing lynch mobs and SS detachments randomly killing anyone they believe insufficiently patriotic.’
- ‘It is estimated that between 1880 and 1960, illegal lynch mobs accounted for the deaths of up to 4,800 black people.’
- ‘On the one hand, we are so outraged by the idea of sex abuse we out convicted paedophiles and stoke up lynch mobs to attack their homes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.