Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- less technical term for lymph node
- ‘The breasts have a rich blood supply and an extensive lymph gland drainage system, which can be important factors in the spread of the disease.’
- ‘There is a generalized infection with involvement of the liver, spleen, bone marrow, and lymph glands.’
- ‘I could feel every lymph gland being pulled and deeply massaged.’
- ‘Doctors ask about symptoms and examine for swelling of the liver, spleen, and lymph glands in the armpits, groin and neck.’
- ‘I left it for five months and it spread to my lymph gland.’
- ‘The adenoid is a lymph gland structure that contains cells to which cold viruses attach.’
- ‘He has been close to death, with throat cancer, had surgery on a lymph gland and is in remission.’
- ‘Within the neck, there are neck muscles, arteries, veins, lymph glands, thyroid gland, parathyroid gland, oesophagus, larynx and trachea.’
- ‘This, in turn, was pressing on his lymph gland which controls the flow of mucus in the nose.’
- ‘It is often only a fever (101 degrees F to 104 degrees F) but with generalized lymph gland and joint involvement.’
- ‘The second organ to be involved is the liver; then the kidneys, suprarenals, lymph glands and intestines become involved.’
- ‘The liver, spleen and lymph glands can swell with leukemia cells.’
- ‘About 10% of patients have a benign tumor of the thymus gland, a lymph gland that usually disappears at puberty.’
- ‘These organisms can produce localized disease in the lungs, lymph glands, skin, wounds or bone.’
- ‘The cancer had developed in a lymph gland on his small intestine.’
- ‘Some 50 percent have lymph gland cancer (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) that is potentially curable.’
- ‘Tuberculosis is caused by one of three bacteria, and most commonly affects the lungs and the lymph glands.’
- ‘In Drosophila larvae the paired lymph gland lobes that flank the dorsal vessel are sites of hematopoiesis.’
- ‘The dye then travels to the lymph gland called the senital gland.’
- ‘If the abscess is on your arm or leg, the doctor may feel the lymph glands in your groin or under your arm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.