One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dislocate.‘the joint may become fixed into the luxated position’
put out of joint, put out of place, displace, disjoint, disconnect, disengageView synonyms
- ‘The hind-leg problems that trouble Boston terriers are known as luxating patella, a dislocation of the small, flat, moveable bone at the front of the knee.’
- ‘The patella can become luxated, or dislocated, either as a result of trauma or because of a congenital malformation of the leg.’
- ‘An inherited tendency, luxating patella can be aggravated by excess weight.’
- ‘The degree of abnormality can range from mild to extreme and can affect other skeletal problems including hip dysplasia, luxating patellae, osteochondritis dissecans and spina bifida.’
- ‘Any luxated tooth that interferes with normal occlusion requires immediate dental evaluation and treatment to avoid pain and further complications.’
Early 17th century: from Latin luxat- ‘dislocated’, from the verb luxare, from luxus ‘out of joint’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.