Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A jump in skating from the backward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one or more full turns in the air.
- ‘Volchkova already has one of the best triple lutzes in ladies skating as well as a triple lutz/triple toe combination.’
- ‘Serov finished third in the short with the only clean program, completing a triple lutz, triple axel and triple flip-triple toe loop combination.’
- ‘Kopac trains only for about 16 hours a week on ice and three hours off ice, but she has already mastered most of the triples and has a triple lutz / triple toe loop combination in both programs.’
- ‘Four years later, he landed his first triple jump, a salchow, but the triple lutz is his favorite jump.’
- ‘I decide to practice my axels, flips, salchows and lutzes.’
1930s: named after the Austrian skater Alois Lutz (1899–1918).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.