Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A maker of stringed instruments such as violins or guitars.
- ‘With today's emphasis on quality vintage reissues, custom shop axes from the major companies and more boutique luthiers than ever, there are tons of wonderful new guitars.’
- ‘They have two luthiers on staff who can handle all sorts of special work.’
- ‘Snagg's database is available to law enforcement officials, dealers, repair shops, and luthiers.’
- ‘The luthier's clamp is just one of several screw clamps of unusual shape used in making string instruments.’
- ‘Also on display in the library is a hand-made acoustic guitar, custom designed by Newry luthier Mickey Loughran for Danny's brother Mickey of Hilton Showband fame.’
- ‘Historical luthiers are listed on the Makers page.’
- ‘His earliest wood sculptures, suggesting unlikely mergers of Constructivism and West African ethnographic objects, displayed joinery worthy of a piano builder or luthier.’
- ‘I have owned instruments made by a wide variety of luthiers from both the UK and abroad.’
- ‘However, these can vary from the gauge-like tools of the luthier to dados cutting wide grooves.’
- ‘In this way Avalon luthiers can harness the power and vibrancy of soundbox acoustic dynamics into an ensemble of resonant voices to give the player a rich, expressive and varied tone palette.’
- ‘Becoming a luthier - someone who practices the art of making stringed instruments - ‘is the most rewarding thing I've ever done,’ Anderberg said.’
Late 19th century: from French, from luth lute.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.