Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lute player.
- ‘The lutenist put down his instrument and rummaged through a side pocket of the case, and held up a pair of university concert tickets.’
- ‘Béthune himself, his brother and his son are listed among the lutenists who played on this occasion.’
- ‘Douglas is one of the few lutanists to accompany himself as a singer.’
- ‘Arriving at the cauldron in 1829 is English lutenist Peter Claire, ready to join the royal orchestra.’
- ‘In the late 1950s Pears popularized early English songs by John Dowland and others, accompanied by famous guitarist and lutenist Julian Bream.’
- ‘A guitar virtuoso, heir to the lutenists of old, friend of Beethoven and Rossini, Giuliani composed concerti, chamber music, and songs, as well as guitar solos and duets.’
- ‘He was joined by elegant Italian lutenist Andrea Damiani in contrapuntal pieces by Vincenzo Galilei.’
- ‘Thomas Berghan is a lutenist specializing in music of the French Baroque.’
- ‘In ancient Egyptian depictions of lute-playing, the lutenists are mostly young women.’
- ‘It may well be that as far as lutenists were concerned, Bach could have saved himself a good deal of ink.’
- ‘Lamentably, the contribution to the Baroque made by the 17th century lutenist composers of the French School has not been fully realized, quantified or understood.’
- ‘Young Alfonso was accepted at court in his turn, a singer, lutenist and violist.’
- ‘They are the only famed lutanists in the world.’
- ‘The painting is probably best known to lutenists now as the illustration used on the paperback edition of the Dowland lute music.’
- ‘Our lutenist blew onto his fingers, our drummer fretted over his chilly skins, our soprano shrank into her mufflers.’
- ‘John Johnson, Queen Elizabeth's favourite lutenist, died in 1594, when the Golden Age school of lutenists was at its zenith.’
- ‘They were technically inept in the skills of composition, though some were fine singers and lutenists.’
- ‘Considering that lutes regularly start at $1800, these are a great way for the beginner lutenist on a tight budget to get started.’
- ‘In addition to the previously mentioned lutenists, we must add the name of Eduardo Eguez.’
- ‘One of the most famous composers and lutenists of his day, Dowland also represented the Elizabethan artistic temperament.’
Early 17th century: from medieval Latin lutanista, from lutana ‘lute’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.