Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or showing strong feelings of sexual desire:‘lustful glances’
lecherous, lascivious, lewd, libidinous, licentious, lubricious, salacious, goatishwanton, unchaste, impure, immodest, indecent, dirty, prurientpassionate, ardent, amorous, amatory, hot-blooded, sensual, sexy, erotichorny, randy, raunchy, naughtyconcupiscent, lickerishView synonyms
- ‘He had never professed love, just a lustful possessive desire that fueled the cruelty in his obsession.’
- ‘On his whistlestop sojourn to Blackpool, there were autographs and shirts to sign, and sufficient lustful glances from ladies to remind you that one year this fellow received 6000 Valentine cards.’
- ‘It is not enough not to commit adultery; lustful thoughts must be set aside too.’
- ‘Some addicts cave in to their most lustful and obsessive desires on a regular basis, while others remain impotent and untemptable no matter what is dangled in front of them.’
- ‘His own lustful desires had trapped them both and he must remember that.’
- ‘People have a lustful desire for entering such enterprises.’
- ‘No longer should she mask her fears and pains with lustful desires.’
- ‘The three demons behind Diane were giving the boys lustful hungry glances.’
- ‘He is aggressively omnisexual, directing his lustful intentions toward everybody except, of course, Riff-Raff and Magenta.’
- ‘Without love, sex becomes more of a lustful event, where one of the two people may be used, or indeed both people may be using each other.’
- ‘Ted cannot or will not conjure the secret images of his childhood; he does not reveal his lustful desires or disclose how he imagines his own body.’
- ‘The sexist expects men to be ambitious, aggressive, dominant, economically self-sufficient, excited by sports and money, lustful, and emotionally strong.’
- ‘She then encouraged me to take her and for the last time in this house we had what could be described as a full 25 minutes of lustful intercourse leaving us both very exhausted afterwards.’
- ‘I don't think you can go through years of being told every single day that the only reason for your incarceration was your lustful desires without being damaged.’
- ‘Another showed the contemptible hypocrisy of the man, whose lustful glances at other women, as he walks with his wife, changes to anger as another man targets his wife.’
- ‘Their thoughts betrayed their lustful desires.’
- ‘And the way she kept giving her boyfriend occasional, lustful glances sent her nerves on fire, and she just wanted to hit the woman in front of her.’
- ‘‘He’ still looks to Nettie often with lustful desires, despite Celie's constant warnings.’
- ‘To Haggerty, love not only implies the emotional bond between pairs of friends, but also the lustful or erotic aspect of such friendships.’
- ‘At some point my lustful desire must have conflated with the love of the letterforms laid prostrate on the Qwerty keyboard.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.