Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A southern constellation (the Wolf), lying partly in the Milky Way between Scorpius and Centaurus.
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in the Lupus constellation.‘the star Delta Lupi’
- 1.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in the Lupus constellation.
[mass noun] Any of various diseases or conditions marked by inflammation of the skin, especially lupus vulgaris or lupus erythematosus.
- ‘You are more likely to get a fungal infection if your immune system doesn't work properly, for example if you have diabetes or lupus, or if you have recently had chemotherapy.’
- ‘There is no known cure for lupus, but the symptoms of the disease can be controlled.’
- ‘The condition may also be associated with an underlying disorder, such as atopic dermatitis or lupus.’
- ‘So does chronic prostatitis go along with lupus or rheumatoid or MS or some of those other auto-immune diseases?’
- ‘ANA testing is done primarily when systemic lupus erythematosus or drug-induced lupus is suspected.’
- ‘It can occur by itself or with other, common autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.’
- ‘Type 1 diabetes, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis are some examples of autoimmune disorders.’
- ‘Tests show blood rheumatism, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatic fever, nervous rheumatism, or bone rheumatism.’
- ‘More developed and extensive lesions may mimic discoid lupus, psoriasis or secondary syphilis.’
- ‘However, dermatomyositis skin disease generally is harder to treat than is lupus skin disease.’
- ‘The resulting maladies nut the gamut from food allergies to migraines, fibromyalgia, lupus, arthritis and so on.’
- ‘Sarge now has discoid lupus, an autoimmune disease with no cure.’
- ‘In some patients, lupus skin disease or lupus internal organ disease can be triggered by reactions to certain drugs.’
- ‘The new findings also may be important to people with systemic autoimmune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘These antibodies are believed to be the cause of the symptoms of systemic lupus, especially kidney disease.’
- ‘The concern that collagen injections can trigger autoimmune diseases like lupus is also unfounded, experts say.’
- ‘He struggled during the 1999 season with Oakland and was diagnosed with lupus, an autoimmune disease.’
- ‘The commonest causes of vasculitic ulcers are rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and polyarteritis nodosa.’
- ‘But some women developed autoimmune diseases such as lupus, which they attributed to the implants.’
- ‘Rarely, a hypersensitivity syndrome ranging from urticaria to drug induced lupus can be caused by minocycline.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, literally wolf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.